Thursday, February 3, 2011

Coconut Date Bread

Maybe if I remembered to use my oven correctly, I wouldn't mess up my end results!!!!! Grrrrr!!! I baked this on "Broil" instead of "Bake" and only realized it after the 1 hour of baking was up and it was sill raw inside. PISSED! It turned out a little drier and denser than it should.

The original recipe was actually just a coconut bread, but I decided to add dates to it, thanks to "The Flavor Bible" :D. I'm actually getting some use out of the books I bought! Dates went beautifully with the coconut bread, I'm just sad I only added 1/2 cup.

I'm gonna start making more "breads" like this - it's super easy and turns out delish. I can make a mean banana bread! But more about that later.

I finally bought an oven thermometer, and guess what? When my oven indicated that it was preheated to 400F, it was at around 200F... And then afterwards, it was only as high as 350F, according to the oven thermometer. This is BS! I can't believe I didn't buy one ages ago. Anyways, totally recommended, the one I bought was $5 at Canadian Tire - I would have gotten a nicer one but that was the only one I found and I was desperate.

Coconut Date Bread
Makes a regular 8x4 inch loaf pan

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2.5 cups flour, more for dusting pan
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tsp salt
1 cup superfine sugar (to me, regular sugar + magic bullet = superfine sugar)
1.5 cups (5 oz) flaked coconut
6 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
1 cup chopped dates (chop, then measure or it won't be enough dates)
soft butter for greasing pan

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour an 8x4 inch loaf pan.

2 In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla. set aside.

3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt. Stir in sugar and coconut. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly add the egg mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in melted butter, being careful not to overmix. Fold in chopped dates.

4. Pour batter and bake in oven until loaf is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes.


Once I realized that I was broiling it, I switched it to "Bake" and put it back in for another 30 minutes so it cooks. Shizen happens I guess. They say you should allow yourself to make more mistakes so that you end up making less of them. Good recipe, though, give it a try!

Take care,
Ksenia

Original Recipe: Honey and Jam - Coconut Bread
Back to top

No comments: