Friday, January 7, 2011

The Best Garlic Thyme Prime Rib Roast Ever

This one is my absolute go-to recipe for a delicious juicy piece of meat (that is, since I don't have a BBQ and can't make myself rib eyes every night :( probably for the best...). Sometimes I just make this on the weekends, just because. This time, it was for New Year's dinner with my family. My mom saw a picture of the roast I made for last year's NYE which I spend with Nick, and thought it looked delish, which of course it was.

Beef is pretty intimidating because unless I have a rare to medium-rare cooked cut of expensive fatty beef, it turns out too dry. Or tough. Or both. Luckily, this recipes calls for exactly that expensive fatty beef. I usually use a prime rib roast as the recipe calls for, but this time I couldn't find that cut, so I used a 6 lb rib eye for 4 people. There were lots of left overs since my family, unlike myself, don't pig out on inch-thick pieces of beef. Don't judge me, okay?

These pictures are from this NYE dinner:

The meat wasn't actually fuschia but a nice natural pink. Phone camera, sorry guys. You can see that the crust on top burnt a little bit and I'm gonna blame the unfamiliar oven. Well, myself also, because I should have checked what it looked like on the other side at some point in the beginning. Anyways, it wasn't a big deal.

These pictures are from last NYE dinner:

See? Perfect crust on this one :D

Garlic Prime Rib
For two people I usually pick up a 4 pound roast, and we usually almost finish it. For 4, I got a 6 pound, and we had tons left over. Really depends on how you want to portion the meat. I like big pieces!

1 10 lb prime rib roast
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme

1. Place roast in a roasting pan fatty side up. In a small bowl, mix all other ingredients. Spread the mixture over the fatty layer of the roast (I spread it on the sides as well) and let the roast sit out until it is at room temperature, no longer than 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 450F.

3. Bake the roast for about 25 minutes (so the top is nice and brown), and then reduce the heat to 325F. Cook for 13-15 minutes per pound. For medium rare the roast's internal temperature should be around 145F.

4. Allow the roast to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving so the meat can retain its juices.

Notes: I usually make the said amount of rub for a 4 lb roast... So if you're making bigger roast, I suggest you don't skimp out on the rub. Make plenty! I stick a meat thermometer inside the roast because if you miss the temperature that you're striving for, it's really disappointing. Yes, it has happened. I never place the roast right under the broiler, but closer to the bottom. Since it stands relatively tall, the top of the roast ends up a bit past the middle of the oven.I usually take it out of the oven when internal temperature is about 135F-140F since while it rests it keeps cooking, and gets to that nice 145F.

To be honest, I think that cooking this cut of meat to well done is a crime. But I guess it all depends on the quality of meat that is available where you live. Where I live, the quality of this cut of beef is very high, so you can get away with cooking it rare.

The Verdict: My boyfriend will never say no to this, and my parents loved it too. The meat turns out very tender, especially if you don't overcook.

I really recommend you try this recipe out. Just remember that a meat thermometer is your gooooood friend.

Take care,
Ksenia

Original Recipe: Garlic Prime Rib - All Recipes

Back to top

No comments: